For anyone who has the plan of starting the new e-commerce business, it is very important to understand first how digital commerce has developed in last 2-3 years and where it is heading. Beyond social and mobile, every aspect of e-commerce evolves is just been seen by us. Let us have a look at the major highlights that will influence e-commerce in today’s days and in the future.
- With the amount of data increasing, in the large world of e-commerce, the artificial intelligence (specifically, machine learning) has entered. The big player like Amazon has led the way forcing anyone is trying to complete the follow suit even though it has not reached a saturation point.
In particular, two features-subscription and recorder services- are meant to offer the experiences of a personalized shopping which is based on your shopping preferences of past.
- The customization level has increased in a dramatic way, thanks to all advertisements which are technologies that we have seen in the wake of the experience of improvement (such as, AR, AI, VR) in last few years. Either it is prompting call-to-action buttons or integrating a chat system, all improvements pay attention towards providing the best user experience. “Only in 2018, the customized trend will increase” according to Toshi Mogi, Frog’s Assistant Vice President of Innovation and Strategy.
- Digital wallets are found to be attractive to the consumers. Therefore, online stores are also adding this new option of payment to their website.
“Somehow 106.7 million matured men in America are also decreasing the use of traditional banking system by purchasing something that is more tech-forward: a digital wallet” according to Finder.com. As the expectation of the customers, it is the sign for the coming up startup to invest in the feature of payment.
- Even though the number of mobile users has increased, their rates of conversion are still low. Smart insights have found that although mobile phones and tablets by the device on e-commerce sites are accounted for 59% of all the sessions, just over 38% of revenue these mobile browsers are made up.
And later on again concluded that mobile users are on the site to make up their mind and for considering purchasing as to what product they want. As a result, they should never be ignored because they are very important. You cannot neglect the experience of the mobile because of the fact that they then go to the desktop to make the purchase.
- A system of built-in analytics is essential for every website of e-commerce. Customer behavior is the heart of all the conversion, and if you cannot collect applicable data then you cannot know about the behavior of the customer.
Keeping all these things in mind, I have mentioned a list of top five e-commerce platforms which can help you in getting started in 2018. Let’s appreciate that between these competitions of aggressive, only the perfect combination of the model of business and the platform of e-commerce will survive.
It is because your focus towards the e-commerce world depends on the kind of technology with which you are provided. You should choose a platform which can meet your own well-defined requirement features as appropriately and as an unusual way as the model of your individual business.
Either you want to launch a multi-vendor marketplace or a conventional e-commerce store; this list will help you to save some of your hard grunt work. Eventually, however, you can only determine that which of the platform is perfect for you.
The solution of e-commerce which is based on Canadian-based, Shopify has been helping online businesses across the world which has a sharp focus on the social commerce trending and shopping of mobile. It had been founded in 2004.
Shopify has always been keeping up with the pace of evolving technologies and e-commerce trends, having a broke ground on additions which is powerful such as social shopping whereby for buying from you, the customer never leaves their social media.
Official Website: https://www.shopify.com/
Merits of Shopify:
- Recovery of the abandoned cart
- The excessive amount of plugins, themes, and extension
- Just in $9, you can join Shopify directly by using your Facebook account and you can make it an e-commerce store.
- Seller mobile apps, the shopping cart which is Mobile-friendly and many other features which are based on mobile are available
- Via live chat round the clock technical is supported, tutorials as well as phones, with the powerful forum of a Shopify community
Demerits of Shopify:
Even though there are many advantages of Shopify as mentioned below, there are also some of the disadvantages of it. The most important downside of it is that you have to pay additional transaction fee even if you don’t use Shopify Payment. Furthermore, additional investment is required for using plenty of useful and practical extensions. But most challenging is “Liquid”. It is own language of Shopify which requires owners of e-commerce store to pay an incremental price for customization.
People who are beginner level e-commerce entrepreneurs and needs a solution of conventional e-commerce can get many benefits from Shopify. It is very easy to use and it can also help you to launch your business of e-commerce quickly. You can choose from Shopify packages which range from $30 to $200, according to your budget or your requirement.
Magento was released in March 2008. It is an e-commerce website platform of an open source. It has been the most popular e-commerce platforms available today because of its scalability and reliability. Many important names such as Hawaii, Burger King, Liverpool F.C. and Pepe Jeans have built their website on Magento.
Official Website: https://magento.com/
Merits of Magento:
- Unlimited options for customization and open source
- Manageability and usability
- For scalability, more than 9000 extensions and plugins to make room
- Free social media additions
- Extensive resource library for new plugins, demos, store management and each and everything that is around the e-commerce stores
Demerits of Magento:
Magento is not for everyone. If the owner of the store is not a programmer or does not have a team of programmers which is working on his/her team then it is not for them. There is a price tag; the basic version of it is free, but if you would like to have an enterprise version them you would need to pay at least $20, 000 per year. If you don’t have any programmer among your staff then you have to pay for third-party programming costs as well.
Magneto is a right choice for the online store of an enterprise level which has a huge amount of products. Due to its difficult setup of the store, cost, and requirement of highly technical management, not recommended for SMBs.
YoKart is specially designed for SMBs and startups. YoKart is a solution which is turnkey and rich in features e-commerce marketplace for building multi-vendor stores such as eBay, Amazon, and Etsy. While multi-vendor version is offered by many other e-commerce platforms, Yokart specializes in this particular field.
Now packs an even bigger punch with the latest version of the YoKart. The multi-currency and multilingual function of it allows the owner of the store to expand their reach on a worldwide. And there are huge numbers of gateways; analytics tool in-built, management features of discount and rewards coupon.
Official Website: https://www.yo-kart.com/
Merits of YoKart:
- A ready-made solution for the multi-trader marketplace
- The source code of the website is got by the owner of the marketplace along with the license for the lifetime.
- Dedicated apps for the Apple and Android devices and a mobile-friendly platform
- Same features are provided by all the price packages (separate from the Startup Package)
- For store owner and merchants there are the video tutorial, FAQs, and manuals with details
- Free technical support for one year
- Multi-currency and multilingual
- Inbuilt the system of product catalog
Demerits of YoKart:
There are many downsides of the YoKart. Given a structure of robust, developer with the extensive knowledge of PHP is required for customizing the YoKart. It is not an open source as like a Magento. Default themes are offered by the Startup and GoQuick packages. YoKart is primarily focused on SMB means that the features are already available which are needed in the standard packages; for the enterprises of large-scale, customization will be must do.
To the full potential, SMBs can use YoKart. The startup package offers hosted solution for one year license and is most affordable at $250. For testing the viability of your business method, it is a pragmatic method. Once you think that you are ready for your business than you can easily upgrade to the higher version; GoCustom Lite, GoQuick, and GoCustom.
4. Big Commerce
There are more than 55,000 online stores of BigComerce to its credit. It has been admired as one of the most important e-commerce software providers. From famous companies such as Toyota and Martha Stewart too many SMEs, for launching the online storefronts, BigCommerce has helped the business of all the sizes.
The huge list of BigCommerce’s built-in features comes really in handy for the owners of the e-commerce store who lacks the skills of basic coding.
Official Website: https://www.bigcommerce.com/
Merits of BigCommerce:
- No fee for the transaction
- The huge amount of features including (but not limited to) coupons, tax, shipping, newsletters, and analytics
- Experience of Responsive themes (paid as well as free) and consistent user on mobile as well as on desktop
- With Facebook, eBay, Google shopping, and many comparison sites there is easy store integration
- Easy tutorial videos, setup wizard, detailed guides with demos as well as with visual illusion
Demerits of BigCommerce:
People, who are wishing to start the multi-vendor store such as one on Amazon, may find BigCommerce lacking some of the support another e-commerce platform which is provided with more models of the integrated marketplace. Lack of free theme may be another concern with BigCommerce. Only with 7 free themes, BigCommerce is behind other e-commerce platforms, given the fact that more than 20 free themes are provided by most of them. But it does not change the fact that you get a plenty of customization option and multitude of premium themes to give a unique identity to your store.
For e-commerce businessman who wants a store full-fledged without the difficulty in coding, merging plugins and many other technical problems, BigCommerce is an ideal solution. If you want to spend on a premium theme, or with the lack of themes, if you can make a do then BigCommerce is the go-to platform solution for e-commerce.
VTEX is E-commerce Platform provider which is based on Brazilian cloud with a gross product value of $1.8 billion in 2016. The custom base of them includes chains of a local business of some of the main players in the world, including Whirlpool, Wal-Mart, Lego, Disney, Coca-cola, L‘Oreal, Staples and many others.
Official Website: https://vtex.com/en/
Merits of VTEX:
Password Free Checkout is one of the factors which make VTEX different from the rest of the eCommerce line-ups. To have boosted organic traffic by 30%, this particular feature is believed, a 28% in gain and an enormous 54% rise in conversion rates.
Demerits of VTEX:
Implementation of 68% faster than conventional setups is done by the company claims based e-commerce. Yet there are no main downsides of VTEX for the owner of the store who is wishing to maintain control of their own storefront: it is based on this, and the SaaS model, for your e-commerce store or its source code, you will never have a complete ownership.
From VTEX and its notable increase in change rates, Business with a yearly turnover of s million dollars or more than that along with the outstanding number of a monthly transaction can benefit. However, because of the higher price of VTEX, it can be expensive for SMBs.
“One size fits all” solution is not an e-commerce platform which will work for everyone. All the articles are built for different kinds of business requirements which are discussed in this article. The outlined pros and cons are not about what’s wrong with them. The created list designed will help you to choose a platform that serves you need best and also helps you to make a calculated decision.
There are many other e-commerce platforms. But above mentioned are some of the popular e-commerce platforms which you should know.